I love fish when it’s crispy on the outside, but not overcooked. Haylie Duff’s Real Girls Kitchen inspired this dish. Keep in mind, you will bake your fish for a few minutes, and then broil at the last minute. This method would work with any thick fish fillets – cod, salmon or sea bass. My broiler has a high/medium/low setting, and I put it on the high setting and just watched it extra carefully.
Roasted Fish Recipe
- 2 8oz halibut fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, using both for the juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Position a top rack in the oven.
- Brush the fish with olive oil. Sprinkle each fillet with about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, then squeeze juice of lemons on both fillets, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a nonstick skillet to medium heat. Place fish on the skillet when hot, and cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- Once cooking both sides, place the skillet in the oven and cook for 4 minutes. Turn the oven on broil to brown the top of the fish for another minute or so. I like my fish extra done so I broiled for about another 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven to prepare for serving. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and squeeze any extra lemon juice.
- Be careful!!! I forgot how HOT my skillet handle was and grabbed it without thinking – not fun.