It’s barbecue season and Troy Kloewer shows off his Big Green Egg (BGE) skills! Troy is my girlfriend Kari’s husband and they generously invited us over for a Sunday BBQ. He definitely impressed everyone with beer can chicken and raspberry chipotle pork tenderloin. Obviously you need a BGE for these 2 recipes, and it might inspire you to purchase one. After watching Troy whip up these 2 dishes, I know that a BGE is now on my culinary wish list.
BGE Smoked Beer Can Chicken Recipe
- 2 whole chickens
- 2 12oz cans of beer
- 2 BGE chicken stands
- 1 jar of any brand chicken rub
- Take the two whole chickens and add the chicken rub 6-8 hours before you are ready to place them on the BGE.
- Open the two cans of beer (and make sure you take a drink for good luck no matter what time of day 🙂 Place the whole chickens over the stands with the cans of beer underneath.
- Light the BGE coals and add apple wood chips and let burn for 10-15 min. Utilize the BGE porcelain place setter for indirect heat cooking.
- Stabilize the heat of the BGE to around 225 degrees for smoking.
- Place the chickens on the BGE for 3 hours or 165 degrees internal temp.
- Tip: Do not let your BGE get hotter than 450-500 degrees when getting started.
- 2 medium sized pork tenderloins
- Raspberry Chiptole Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2 6oz containers fresh raspberries
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- *you can purchase a pre made sauce if you dont want to make your own
- To make the sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in jalapenos; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic, and adobo sauce; bring to a simmer. Stir the raspberries into the sauce; cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, salt, brown sugar, and white sugar. Mix well. Simmer until thickened and reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Transfer sauce to a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Marinate pork in roasted raspberry chipotle sauce for 4-6 hours before cooking.
- Place on BGE indirect heat at 225 degrees for 2-2½ hours or until internal temperature of 155-160.
- Slice in medallions and serve.