Kill 3 birds with one stone… I created this dish when living alone after college. It was quick, easy, healthy, and offers up all food groups. I obviously ended up with leftovers every time, and almost preferred it a day or two after. This is great to keep in your fridge for when you want a snack, and is more satisfying than a yogurt or piece of fruit. You could always add in some diced bell peppers or use whole-wheat pasta to make it extra healthy.
Turkey Veggie Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound package of lean ground turkey
- 2-2 ½ cups broccoli crowns, chopped roughly
- 2 cups orecchiette pasta, or any short, cut pasta like a penne or fusilli
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 tablespoons store bought pesto (my favorite is from the olive/antipasto bar at Central Market)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F. Pour pine nuts onto a baking sheet.
- Bring one large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- I like to use a wok but any large, heavy, nonstick skillet will work. Turn heat to medium/high and heat canola oil in wok or skillet. Once the oil is shimmering, add ground turkey, garlic, salt and pepper. Brown turkey meat and leave in skillet with the heat off.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and then add pasta.
- When your oven is heated, put baking sheet with pine nuts in on the middle rack for about 7-8 minutes. Turn oven light on so that you can watch them carefully – they toast quickly!! Once pine nuts are toasted, transfer to a plate.
- As your pasta boils, put your broccoli in a large bowl. If you prefer to go more veggie heavy, add in that extra ½ cup broccoli. Place a strainer over the bowl of broccoli. When your pasta is ready, dump all through strainer, and salty pasta water will quickly cook broccoli for about 30-45 seconds. Transfer pasta back to original pot, then strain broccoli.
- Heat browned turkey meat on medium, add in pasta, broccoli, and pesto. Stir to combine all ingredients. Then, add in parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. Stir again to combine all, then serve hot.