Enjoy Spain’s most famous dish from the comfort of your own home!
Chicken and Sausage Paella Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ pound spanish chorizo or any type of smoked sausage
- 2 cups short of medium grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3- 3½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Put the oil in a large overproof skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, skin side down, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Don’t move the chicken! Cook for 6-8 minutes until the chicken releases easily.
- Turn, sprinkle with salt and pepper again and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove chicken from the skillet.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the onion, garlic, and chorizo to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir well. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring until it looks glossy. Add the paprika and stir for another minute. Stir in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour 3 cups of stock over the rice and tuck in the chicken pieces.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Check to see if the rice is dry and tender. If not, bake for another 5-10 minutes. If the rice is dry but not tender, add ¼ cup water and bake a few more minutes.
- When the rice is ready, taste and stir in bell pepper and more salt and pepper. Return the skillet to the oven, turn off the heat, and let it sit for 5-15 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, you can give the paella a crust by putting the pan over medium-high heat until the rice sizzles, about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.