If you think you don’t like brussel sprouts, this recipe is going to change your mind. By frying them, they get extra crispy, and then the tangy dressing is an added bonus. I was a little nervous before frying them, but once I got the hang of it, it was super easy. Just be prepared to have something to cover your pot and be sure to pat the brussel sprouts until they are super dry. Get ready to be addicted to these.
Flash Fried Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- 4 cups brussel sprouts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Canola oil for frying – I recommend buying a one gallon container or larger just in case
- Deep fry thermometer
- First, you want to prepare your brussel sprouts. Wash them, and then pat them very dry with a paper towel. Trim the ends off and then cut in half lengthwise.
- To prepare the dressing, place the garlic, salt, cayenne, lime juice and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk well and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with canola oil so that oil reaches 1 ½ inches up the sides. Clip your heat thermometer to the side of the pot. Heat the oil until it reaches 375°F.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, take a small cube of bread and drop it into the oil. If it turns brown in 60 seconds, the oil is ready.
- Before you begin, you will need a splatter screen or use the lid of the pot to cover after placing brussel sprouts in the oil. The oil will splash up a little bit during the first minute of cooking so be prepared at the point to put them in and cover with something immediately.
- Also, go ahead and prepare a plate with 2 layers of paper towels laid on top.
- Place the brussel sprouts in a small wire basket or slotted spoon and dip them in the oil. After covering, fry them for 5-6 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on the paper towels and repeat until all brussel sprouts have been fried.
- Carefully pour all fried brussel sprouts into a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with some sea salt and serve hot.